TikTok and YouTube Fail to Protect Children From Harmful Content

TikTok
Short Videos, Big Impact – TikTok. [TechGolly]

Key Points:

  • The UK media regulator claims TikTok and YouTube failed to protect children from dangerous online videos.
  • Research shows 73% of kids aged 11 to 17 saw harmful material online within 4 weeks.
  • Competitors like Snap, Meta, and Roblox agreed to implement stronger safety features for underage users.
  • The UK government is considering banning social media for children under 16 to fight addictive app designs.

Ofcom called out TikTok and YouTube on Thursday. The UK media regulator said the two giant video platforms completely failed to take meaningful steps to protect children. Young users continue to see harmful content on their screens every single day. The watchdog issued a harsh warning, demanding that tech executives stop ignoring the obvious dangers on their digital properties.

The regulator pointed directly to the recommendation algorithms. Neither TikTok nor YouTube offered any new commitments to make their automatic video feeds safer. Ofcom presented clear evidence showing that these addictive personalized feeds act as the main highway for dangerous content reaching children. When kids open these apps, the software immediately pushes extreme and inappropriate videos into their daily view.

ADVERTISEMENT
3rd party Ad. Not an offer or recommendation by dailyalo.com.

The numbers look incredibly grim for young internet users across the country. Recent Ofcom research discovered that 73% of children between the ages of 11 and 17 encountered harmful content over a single 4-week period. When asked where they saw this terrible material, children cited TikTok as the biggest offender. They closely followed that by naming YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat as major sources of toxic videos and images.

Both TikTok and YouTube aggressively defended their current safety rules. They told the regulator that their existing systems work just fine and keep kids safe enough. However, Ofcom completely rejected those corporate excuses. The regulator stated that the actual data prove these feeds remain highly unsafe for children. The companies simply refuse to acknowledge the deep flaws in their basic design.

A YouTube spokesperson stepped forward to defend the platform. The representative claimed that YouTube provides industry-leading, age-appropriate experiences for young viewers. The spokesperson also mentioned the company works closely with child safety experts to protect millions of families across the UK. Meanwhile, a TikTok spokesperson fired back at Ofcom, calling it very disappointing that the regulator ignored their longstanding and newly added safety features. The TikTok representative promised the company will keep investing in safety measures.

While TikTok and YouTube stand their ground, rival platforms decided to cooperate with the authorities. Snap, Meta, and Roblox all agreed to introduce much stronger protections against online child grooming. They made these massive changes after Ofcom demanded immediate action just last month. These companies realized they could no longer ignore the growing outrage from parents and lawmakers.

These new safety commitments force real structural changes on the apps. Snap will automatically block adult strangers from contacting children. The company will also expand its age verification checks across Britain. Meta plans to roll out strict new controls on teen accounts and build artificial intelligence tools to catch creepy conversations. Meanwhile, Roblox will finally allow parents to disable direct messaging for kids under 16 completely.

The current age rules across all platforms fail miserably in the real world. Ofcom flagged the terrible enforcement of minimum age requirements. The regulator noted that 84% of children aged 8 to 12 regularly use apps that require users to be at least 13 years old. Kids simply lie about their birth dates, and the technology companies happily let them create active accounts without asking for real proof.

Nearly a full year after the new Online Safety Act took effect, Ofcom reports almost no improvement in child safety. Major tech platforms dominate children’s daily lives. Data shows that 67% of children use YouTube, 60% use TikTok, and 95% use at least 1 major social media service. Because the current law does not explicitly require companies to remove underage users from their platforms, Ofcom urged the government to strengthen the rules immediately.

The UK government already plans to step up its fight against giant tech companies. Prime Minister Keir Starmer recently urged social media firms to take real responsibility for their dangerous products. British lawmakers even started consulting on tighter rules, including a total ban on social media for anyone under 16. This bold idea copies a landmark move recently passed by the Australian government to stop addictive app designs from ruining childhoods.

In a separate victory for the regulator, Elon Musk agreed to clean up his social media platform X. The company promised to step up its enforcement against illegal hate speech and terrorist content. Workers at X will now review this terrible material within 24 hours on average. The platform will also share detailed quarterly data directly with Ofcom so that the government can track its progress.

ADVERTISEMENT
3rd party Ad. Not an offer or recommendation by dailyalo.com.

However, X still faces heavy scrutiny over its artificial intelligence, too, including Grok. Ofcom continues to closely examine the Grok chatbot to see how it handles adult topics. Earlier this year, software testers discovered that the tool could easily generate highly sexualized images. The chatbot completely ignored the basic safety warnings from users, raising serious concerns among child safety advocates everywhere.

EDITORIAL TEAM
EDITORIAL TEAM
Al Mahmud Al Mamun leads the TechGolly editorial team. He served as Editor-in-Chief of a world-leading professional research Magazine. Rasel Hossain is supporting as Managing Editor. Our team is intercorporate with technologists, researchers, and technology writers. We have substantial expertise in Information Technology (IT), Artificial Intelligence (AI), and Embedded Technology.
Read More